Receive a lower electricity rate this winter and a free eViewSM.
Customers who reside in the gridSMART® Demonstration Project and have a digital Smart Meter have
the unique opportunity to participate in
SMART ShiftSM – a new time-of-day rate plan.
Act now and you’ll receive a free eViewSM – a device that allows you to see, in real time,
how much electricity you are using and your average cost.
This information can help you make decisions to help lower your bills.
Lower rate. More money in your pocket.
By signing up for SMART ShiftSM, you’ll receive a lower electricity rate this winter. Most
residential customers pay about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. With SMART ShiftSM, you’ll only
pay 13 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) October through May. All day. Every day.
You’ll also receive this same lower rate 80% of the time during the summer months. Only during the months
of June through September, on weekdays from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., will you be charged 37 cents per kilowatt
hour. Then, when October comes you’ll enjoy the same low rate every day again.
During the summer months, the weather gets warmer and creates a high demand for electricity This is when
you can help lower your bills by cutting back your electric usage and shift your usage to lower cost
Keep your free eView in a convenient and visible location so
it can help remind you when higher and lower costs are in effect.
1The SMART Shift rates above reflect the estimated total electric rate
per kWh as of April 2014, which includes the monthly customer charge, additional riders, surcharges and
taxes. Rates are subject to change.
2The current weighted average rate of 15 cents per kWh is the weighted
average of the total residential standard rate (Rate Tariff: Residential Service 015) based on a typical
residential customer using 1,000 kWh per month for 12 months, which includes four months of summer rates
and eight months of winter rates.
Lower Cost Hours
- During the months of October through May, all hours of every day, including holidays.
- During the months of June through September, all hours except 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Electricity is billed at 13 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh).
Higher Cost Hours
- During the months of June through September, 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Electricity is billed at 37 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh).
Complete our online form or call AEP Ohio’s Customer Operations Center at
If you live in the gridSMART Demonstration Project in northeast Central Ohio and have a Smart Meter,
you are eligible for SMART Shift. Not sure if you have a Smart Meter? View our
map or call 1-888-237-5522.
Consider these questions prior to enrolling in SMART Shift.
- Are you required to use specific appliances or equipment during higher cost hours?
- Do you think your household budget could benefit from this program?
- Are there other members in your household? You may want to consult with them.
- Check your eView to see if higher or lower cost hours are in effect.
- Increase the temperature on your thermostat between 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. when the cost for electricity is higher (June – September).
- Do your laundry or run the dishwasher before 1 p.m. and after 7 p.m. when the cost of electricity is lower (June – September).
- Turn off equipment when not in use.
Customers must participate in SMART Shift for one year. Customers who participate in SMART
Shift and incur more charges on SMART Shift (Rate Schedule RS-TOD2) as compared to the current residential
standard rate after one full year will receive a bill credit on their billing statement. Restrictions may
apply. Terms and conditions are subject to change. SMART Shift may not be an ideal rate plan for all-electric
homes. Limited time offer while supplies last. AEP Ohio gridSMART programs are subject to modification or
cancellation at any time without notice.
Please note: AEP Ohio customers who elect to switch to a different electricity provider are not eligible to participate in gridSMART® programs, which consist of SMART CoolingSM, SMART Cooling PlusSM, SMART ShiftSM, SMART Shift PlusSM, SMART ChoiceSM and eVIEWSM. These programs are not available to customers who are placed on Open Access Distribution tariffs which apply when a customer takes generation service from another provider.
Save money by checking your eView to see when lower and higher costs occur.